Wednesday, 22 July 2026

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 Dick, Kerr ladies (England)

Dick, Kerr ladies (England)

Let’s look at a different side of the game, a side that many say isn’t worth looking at. Yes, I know I am going into controversial territory here but it’s somewhere I believe we need to go, even for Forgotten Football Clubs. You see, football isn’t just for men, and this next club that I am to write about prove it. I am not writing about this club for popular reasons, although their name came up in many conversations I have had with football fans while researching other clubs. They deserve to be in this book, simply because of the legacy they have left behind. Pioneers of the women’s game many people have said and even pioneers for women’s rights others have mentioned, but I will steer clear of that topic as it may be better suited for another book. I have to admit though, my knowledge of women’s football history is limited, or was before I started researching about this club, which in turn brought me to other clubs and down a bit of a rabbit hole. Of course, I didn’t go into this with my eyes closed and had help from other sources, which you will see in the interview I conducted for the purpose of this club. Dick, Kerr Ladies are the club in question and one that rightfully belong in this book. I enjoyed writing this one and I hope you enjoy reading it too.

The clubs Dick, Kerr Ladies was founded in 1917, in the north of England, Lancashire, after a group of women workers from Dick, Kerr & Co beat a group of men in an informal football match. The club, managed by Office worker Alfred Frankland, gained even more attention when they beat another factory team, Arundel Coulthard Factory 4-0 in front of a bumper crowd of 10,000 on Christmas Day 1917 at Deepdale, Preston North End’s current home ground. The team were encouraged to play competitively by the factory as it was seen to boost moral during World War I amongst the women, who were left behind in England to produce ammunition for men who went to mainland Europe to fight.

The became a popular team and something of a money spinner, but they used their newfound fame to raise money for charities that helped injured service men from the war and continued to play various charity matches after the war, travelling all over the country. But they weren’t just turning up and laying in these games, they were competing and winning them, beating men’s teams with ease. Dick, Kerr & Co had so much faith in the women that they paid each woman on the team 10 shillings to cover expenses for each game they played. Some people did say that their early wins were down to stage fright from the men in the opposition team’s, who couldn’t believe that these women were matching or in some cases out playing them in every department on the pitch, but of course this would seem like an easy excuse for the men to use to avoid their embarrassment at the time.

There was no women’s league at the time Dick, Kerr Ladies were playing and in truth, the Football Association were not keen on the idea of a women’s football at all. However, this didn’t stop Dick, Kerr Ladies from playing football and in 1920 a match was organised against a French women’s team from Paris. This was to be the first women’s international football match to be played in the history of the sport. The French team was led by Alice Milliat, a pioneer for women’s sport, and someone who made it possible for women to compete in more sports, including ones that took place in the Olympic Games.

Dick, Kerr Ladies continued to play matches in England, four in total that year, winning three and drawing one. Their first game was at their own home ground, Deepdale, were they beat another local team 2-0. They then went on to beat a team from Stockport, 2-1 and draw with a team from Manchester, 1-1. Their final game was a trip to London, were they played at Chelsea’s home ground, Stamford Bridge and beat a London team, 2-1. The team went on a tour of France to play clubs from Paris, Roubaix, Havre and Rouen, drawing three and winning one. The team caught the imagination of a nation, and this showed when they played a friendly against St Helen’s Ladies from Liverpool. The game was played in front of a huge crowd of 53,000 at Everton’s home ground, Goodison Park. This would become a world record for attendance of a women’s football match, only to be broken 98 years later. (A match between Barcelona Women and Atletico Madrid Women had 60,739 spectators at the Wanda Metropolitano Stadium in Madrid, March 2019). While the match caught the imagination of the people, it caused annoyance amongst the hierarchy of the Football Association and on the 5th December 1921, the FA effectively banned women from playing football, stating that ‘The game of football was not sustainable for females and it ought not be encouraged’. They claimed the move was to ‘protect women’, but many saw it as a way to defend the men’s game, as the FA grew uneasy at the popularity of Dick, Kerr’s Ladies and the crowds they were attracting. Most often than not they were out doing the men’s teams in attendances, and this led the FA to believe that it could harm the men’s game. Only a year after 53,000 football fans had packed into Goodison Park to see two women’s teams play, all women’s football clubs, including Dick, Kerr’s Ladies were stripped of official recognition by the FA.  Amazingly the ban on women’s football lasted 50 years and wasn’t lifted until July 1971. During the time of the ban, the women’s game in England failed to progress as they were not allowed to play in any stadium that was under FA regulations, meaning the capacity to go watch women’s football was always restricted to smaller stadia or even just simply fields. It took a further 22 years for the FA to recognise women’s football, leaving it on it’s own until 1993, when the FA finally took over the administration and funding of it.

The ban on playing didn’t stop Dick, Kerr’s Ladies with their manager, Alfred Frankland stating, ‘The team will continue to play, if the organisers of charity matches will provide grounds, even if we have to play on ploughed fields’. And so, they did, playing matches in smaller stadia that were not controlled by the FA and fields. But it wasn’t only in England were the women’s game or indeed Dick, Kerr’s Ladies faced discrimination and obstacles. The team decided to tour Canda and the US, deeming it to be a more competitive challenge than what they were facing in the UK. But when they arrived in Canada in 1922, they were told that the Canadian Dominion Football Association had banned all women from playing competitive football matches. It was a disappointment to the team, but they headed down south straight away to play in the US. Their game would take place in Patterson, NJ on September 24th. They continued to play against nine US based men’s teams, creating a buzz over in the US, but once again they weren’t just there to compete or to be looked at, Dick Kerr’s Ladies held their own. Out of the nine games they won three, drawing three and losing three.

They continued to play back in the UK, most notably playing a game against Scottish side, Rutherglen Ladies in September 1923. Dick, Kerrs Ladies were expected to win but surprisingly they fell to a 2-0 defeat. Subsequently, Rutherglen’s manager James Kelly, declared his team ‘World Champions’ as Dick, Kerr Ladies had declared themselves that from 1917 to1925. There was no reply, however, so the title is still disputed. It was in 1926 that the team changed their name, too Preston Ladies FC, after manager Alfred Frankland had an argument with Dick, Kerr’s ownership. They continued to gain widespread recognition, attracting up to 5,000 spectators at some of their games. The ‘World Champions’ tag came back into the picture when the club played a match against then Scottish women’s champions, Edinburgh Ladies. Preston Ladies won the match 5-1 and were once again declared the unofficial women’s ‘World Champions’.

Some of the players to play for Dick, Kerr’s Ladies include Lilly Parr, who made 700 appearances for the club, spanning between 1920-1951. Thirty years, is an amazing achievement but what is even more amazing is the fact she is recorded to have scored over 900 goals for the club in that time, starting her playing career at the age of 14 years old. In her first season alone, she scored 48 goals and scored a total of 108 in that whole year. It was said that her childhood was the reason for her huge success in football, as she used to play football and rugby with her brothers, making her well capable of playing against other men. It was said that Parr had a relationship with fellow teammate, Alice Woods, but this has been refuted and they were just described as being really close friends. (Although Woods went on to marry a man named Herbert Stanley in 1928) and has become somewhat a LGBT rights icon over the years. There is no doubt that is Lilly Parr played in today’s women’s game, she would be a sensation.

Alice Woods was another who played for Dick, Kerr Ladies after scoring against them when a Merseyside Ladies team beat Dick, Kerr Ladies 1-0. Woods was an accomplished athlete and was a sprinter as well and was one of the first women to race under the Amateur Athletic Association of England laws.

This chapter was a little bit different, as in it is about a women’s football team, and while I could have chosen numerous football people to talk about Dick Kerrs, Ladies, I felt it was only right to speak to women in football about how they were influenced by football, why they chose to play or support football and the challenges they have faced, just like Dick Kerr, Ladies faced, because unfortunately, despite the best efforts of football clubs around the world to include everyone and both genders, there are those who feel football is still a ‘Man’s’ game. Let me introduce three women who I spoke to that will disprove that here and now, showing that women are just has knowledgeable and passionate about football as men.

I interviewed Charlotte Patterson, a writer of women’s football, specifically Asian women’s football, a writer for Roker Report, a Sunderland fan site and she is an assistant researcher for Football Manager. She answered my questions on Dick, Kerr Ladies and the state of women’s football today.

Hi, Charlotte, thank you for taking your time out to help with this book. Firstly, what do you know about Dick, Kerr ladies?

Charlotte Patterson: When WW1 started, Women took to the jobs that the men had left whilst they were at war. Mainly in factories. One such factory was Dick, Kerr & Co, a train and tram car manufacturer. However, during WW1 most factories began to produce resources and ammunition for the war. Despite Women being discouraged from playing football, the company decided that it would be good for morale for them to play. During lunch and tea breaks, the women would go out into the factory yard to play an informal game of football with the apprentices The factory took notice that the women kept beating the men during these games and decided to start a football team named, Dick, Kerr Ladies. The team started playing matches against different factories, winning many of the games they played, including a 4-0 on Christmas Day 1917. Over 10,000 fans were present as the Dick, Kerr Ladies won at Deepdale that day. People began to take notice and soon afternoons and days were spent watching this factory team beat all that stood in their way. In 1920, Dick, Kerr Ladies held a tour against teams from France. They won 2 games, drew 1 and lost in the final against the French. It was enjoyed so much, that the French asked that the team come over and have a football tour in France later that year. Which they accepted. Their tour of France received tremendous publicity and anticipation back home. So when Dick, Kerr Ladies played against St Helens Ladies on Boxing Day 1920 at Goodison Park, there was over 53,000 spectators watching on. A world record which was not broken until 98 years later! The Dick, Kerr Ladies were flying. They played 833 games in their history, winning 759, drawing 46 and losing 28.  

However, their achievements could have been so much more  In 1921, the FA decided to ban women’s football. Their reason was to protect women. However, it was widely acknowledged that it was because the men’s game felt threatened and were jealous. The ladies brought in huge crowds and beat many of the men’s teams they played. This ban stayed in place for 50 years. In 1971 the ban was rescinded, but the damage was done. Women were forced to played in small grounds, given no financial aid, no resources, support or backing. This was the case until 1993, when the FA finally took back over administration. Whilst during those 50 years of being banned. Dick, Kerr Ladies continued to play on non-FA grounds, usually relying on charity organised matches to play. They did go on tour in America, playing 9 men’s teams in front of 10,000 spectators. Winning 3, losing 3 and drawing 3 

But in the end, despite a rename to Preston Ladies from 1926-1965, the ladies’ team finally folded. Without the resources and funding, they could not continue on as a team. A great tragedy to what was a great team which pioneered women’s football 

As a woman who is very much involved in football, where Dick, Kerr Ladies an inspiration and if not, who is in the footballing world to you?

Charlotte Patterson: Absolutely, I think they were pioneers for women and women’s football. They proved to so many people in that time period that they could play and that they could be bloody good at it too and bring in thousands of people in attendance. Of course, it wasn’t just solely Dick, Kerr Ladies who paved the way. But their story and their achievements serve as an inspiration to every aspiring female footballer and women’s football fan. It sounds so corny and cliché, but so many elements of women’s football in an inspiration to me. Whether it’s specific player, clubs or how in women’s football there is a greater sense of community, safety, and acceptance. I was having a conversation the other day with someone, in that being gay in women’s football is not a big deal at all. You never hear of any issues with homophobia or racism. We know what it is like being discriminated against for being a woman and being a woman who enjoys football. So I think women’s football has naturally always been inclusive. It was never forced. It just was. I played football growing up and half of my teammates were gay and that was just how it was. It was accepted, as it should be. So whilst we still might have a ways to go in terms of the physical development of women’s football, I think socially we are the best. 

Quite clearly there was a huge gender inequality problem in football back in the 1920’s up until the 70’s and probably in society in general, but in regards football, do you think it has gotten better for women nowadays to play the game or even participate in any way in the sport?

Charlotte Patterson: The ban on Women’s football, stopped growth, stopped belief of young girls, stopped ambition and stopped possibilities. Who knows where the women’s game would be now were it not banned for 50 years. The game ceased to exist for women during those years. Even now, the women’s game is still trying to build itself up again. It would actually take until a few years ago in 2018 for the Women's Super League to be fully professional with all 12 topflight teams strictly full-time. Yes the women’s game isn’t perfect, it might be ‘boring’, it might not be up to your standard, but it’s trying. If you don’t like it, that’s fine. But the constant and unwarranted sexist and unhelpful comments which come with it helps no one. In time hopefully the standard will improve. Whilst slowly, I have noticed improvement each year. But it will take time to recuperate from the ban which stunted its growth and development for 50 years. And was only taken seriously 3 years ago to give it professional contracts. But it doesn’t matter what I say anyway, because at the end of the day some people won’t change. Sexist comments and remarks will always be made. But if being a women has taught me anything, it’s that we are resilient, strong and never back down 

The ban that was put in place, what are your thoughts about that? If you were living back then, how would you have reacted being told that football wasn’t safe for women and that women she be discouraged from participating in it?

Charlotte Patterson: It makes me really angry, so I can’t imagine how women would have felt back then. Funnily enough, I just went to watch a play recently called ‘Wor Bella’ which was about a woman called Bella Reay who worked in an ammunition factory during the war and playing for the company team, Blyth Spartans Women. It was a really funny and compelling story and I’m not one for plays! But towards the end, she spoke about something I didn’t even consider. But during the war, when all the men were away, women had freedom that they never had before. They had jobs, they could play football, they could go for walks unattended, go out to pub and other simple activities that we would take for granted right now. She explained the sadness that women felt when the men returned from war, because them coming back and the war ending meant that all of those freedoms were gone. Women lost their jobs, their fathers or husbands went back to controlling what they did, they went back to the housewife role and then they lost their ability to play football. The woman explained the guilt she felt about being sad and angry that the men were returning, especially as the had been at war and so many died. But she couldn’t help the emotions, as she may not have lost her life, but she lost something too.  

I think had I being living back then, I would have certainly been rebellious and fought against the restrictions. Even when I was younger, I had to do the same. Not to the extent they did back then of course. But when I was at school I had to fight to get a girls football team, I had to fight for the boys to let me play with during break time and I had to fight against girls too, who told me to stop being a ‘tomboy’, that called me ‘gay’ or a ‘boy’ just for playing and enjoying football. 

I always question where women’s football would have been today if not for that ban. Given the success and audience it had just when it was company teams, it would have likely grown into what the premier league was when it was first created. But who is to say. Either than ban was an awful and abhorrent thing to do and there still hasn’t really been a formal apology for it. Not that many people even know about it!  

You have an interest in Asian women’s football. That is quite a niche thing to be interested in, even in football terms. Can I ask what got you interested in that part of the world and its football culture?

Charlotte Patterson: Ha it a bit of a weird one, but it actually started off with a video game. When I was younger, I used to obsessively play this game called Dynasty Warriors and Samurai Warriors, the games both loosely cover elements of Chinese History and Japanese History respectively. The more I played the games, the more I learned about Asian history and then it eventually led me to researching and learning more about Asian countries, history and culture. Before I went to university and did my degree in nursing, I was actually considering doing a degree in East Asian Studies. So with the huge love of football which I already had and my love for Asia, the two just meshed together and I found myself reading more about Asian football, trying to find where I could watch it and listening to podcasts on specific Asian countries or leagues.  

I still listen to lots of podcasts now and try to find one from every Asian league or country where possible. I think recently I have fallen out of love with modern football in some regards and I find much more interest in watching these niche and developing leagues. Players play for their love of the game and that is what football is all about 

Have you faced any discrimination while working within the football industry and how do you react to it if it happens?

Charlotte Patterson: Yes and no. I’m quite thankful that my experience at football games have always been great, with no issues of sexism. In recent years, my dad, who I used to go to games with, can’t attend much, so I tend to go to games by myself. Again nothing has happened that is significant, but I felt very uncomfortable at times when on my own and had some inappropriate sexual comments shouted me.  

In terms of in the industry as such, I have always received so much support from my peers. There are no issues around sexism and everyone there is all here for the same common goal. To talk about the sport we love. The problem I do have is with social media. I have received quite frankly some disgusting and repulsive comments over the years, mainly when I’m trying to talk about women’s football. You’ll get your standard ‘get back in the kitchen’ ‘do you know the offside rule’ ‘make me a sandwich’ ‘you only go to attract men’ ‘blonde bitch’ etc. But I have also had messages from people telling me to go kill myself, and that they hope I get raped at a game. Its at comments like that, that make you forget all the nice things that have been said and how supportive everyone else is. I think the feeling is made worse by knowing that they will get away with saying these things because of the fact they create fake accounts and social media companies don’t do anything about it. 

Finally, how do you see the women’s game progressing from now on? After the last world cup, it seems to have caught the imagination of football fans, men and women, with record attendance’s appearing in different women’s league all over the world in the last few years. And what do you think can be done to keep it progressing and making it bigger?

Charlotte Patterson: Each year women’s football continues to make strides, whether big or small, they all count towards progression. Women’s football is so freely available now to people across the world, we have people commentating on the games, we have fan groups, websites, analysts, scouts, podcasters, people from all different kinds of fields starting to get involved or become part of women’s football, which is so fantastic to see. Because again, I want to reinforce the message that no one is forcing anybody to watch or like women’s football if they don’t want to, but there just isn’t any need to put it down and make sexist comments. As I mentioned earlier, women’s football continues to grow regardless of the noisy opposition and those with fragile egos and caveman like mentalities.  

After each world cup or big football tournament, we always see a big boom of interest and uptake in women’s football. With the women’s euros taking place in our very own backyard this year, clubs absolutely have to capitalise on this a make a push. We’ve already seen all of England’s game sell out, including the final for whoever that involves. We’ve also seen the likes of Barcelona Women break records with sell out crowds at Camp Nou. Things are definitely improving, and I’ve seen more change in the last 2-3 years than I ever have in my life. It an exciting time. But we still have to manage our expectations and reality. 

Improving grassroots football, improving coaching, access to facilities and creating an environment of acceptance for kids at a young age, can only allow those children to reach heights I never thought possible when I was younger. My goal growing up was to be a footballer, but not only was there not a clear pathway, but the benefits, finances and appreciation just wasn’t there when I was young. That’s why I’m so happy and proud now, as I see so many young girls achieving things I could never do. And that is what will always keep me going.

When I put it out there that I was looking to speak to women in football for this chapter, I got a lot of mentions and tags, and that’s how I came across Jenn Ramczyk, an American who loves her soccer. She is also one of the women who has started the #HerGameToo campaign over in the United States, a campaign that was launched in the UK from a group of women who wanted to make a stand against sexism in football. Jenn has carried on their good work, promoting the game for women and young girls across the water. Here is what she had to say.

Hi Jenn, My first question I have to ask you is how did you get involved with football? What influenced your passion for the game or who influenced it?

Jenn Ramczyk: I was introduced into football in high school. Didn’t like going to American football games so I was looking for other sports. My sister knew a player on the boy’s football team. So we went to watch their game. It was very entertaining. We had an older lady explaining the rules of the game to help us understand. I was hooked from that point on. The World Cup came to the US in 1994 which was incredible to see football styles from around the world. This only grew my passion and love for the sport.

You are from America, a country that is known for the popularity of women's football, and one that has such a good standard, some might even say the women's game over there is more popular than the men. What’s your take on that?

Jenn Ramczyk: The women’s game is more popular than the men when it comes to World Cup years. Overall, it has lower attendance at the club level. I would say compared to other countries; more people know there is a women's league. We need to get better at marketing the games and getting higher attendance at the local level. This in turn will help grow the game even more. I think it is getting better and we need to build on the progress.

The US Women's team are seen as the best in the world, with some unbelievably talented players over the years. What is the reason that the US is able to produce such quality women footballers?

Jenn Ramczyk: The reason the US is able to produce quality footballers is due to young girls being given the ability to play the game at a young age. The average age to start playing is 5 or 6 years old. This lets them hone their skills and perfect the game. In my opinion, other countries didn’t award this opportunity to young girls in the past, this set the game back. In the US, this young development helped the future of the game here. As our ladies do great things, more young girls get into the game.

The women's game here in Europe is starting to take-off quite a bit since the last major international tournament. Countries like England have the Women's Super League played on Sky Sports, while here in Ireland, the most recent Women's FAI Cup final had its biggest recorded attendance ever and just recently Real Madrid and Barcelona women's teams broke the world record for a match attendance at a women's football match. Looking from the outside, where do you think women’s, football can go from now? What would be progress in your eyes?

Jenn Ramczyk: I think women’s football can continue to grow by encouraging young girls to play the game and developing their skills. There needs a continual progress of moving the game forward in terms of attendance, marketing, and player development. Progress to me is to see the momentum continue with having players come into the game. It is great to see little girls with a passion for the game and wearing their team colours. Showing young girls, it is okay to be a part of the sport, it isn’t just for boys.

Dick Kerr, Ladies are seen as the pioneers of women's football in the UK and throughout most of the world. Who were the pioneers of women's football in the United States? What women's football club started the foundation of what women's football is over in America?

Jenn Ramczyk: The pioneers of women’s football in the US is contributed to the 1950-51 Craig Club Girls Bobby Soccer’s team. There is a great article about the beginning of women’s football in the US. It grew from there to having what we have today.

 On your Twitter account you have #HerGameTooUSA in your bio and your name, a movement I am familiar with and one that, although quite new, has made a huge positive impact on promoting women's football in the UK and Ireland. What has that movement done in the US and are you actively a part of it?

Jenn Ramczyk: I initiated the start in the US and am actively a part of the campaign. We started at the end of March and have 3 teams that have partnered with us. We are still in the building phase and plan to have a MLS team by the end of the year 2022 join the campaign.

Thank you for answering all of these questions. I just have one more and it's a simple one, but one that may have a few answers. Who is your favorite ever player to play the game?

Jenn Ramczyk: My favourite players are Steven Gerrard, Kenny Daglish, and Jesse Marsch.

Finally, I spoke to Nicole Hack, another American woman whose passion for football is shown by the number of projects and activities she is involved in to help promote the women’s game. She of course just loves football in general and it was my pleasure to have her answer my questions for this chapter.

Cheers for answering my questions Nicole. First of all, how did you get involved in football? What or who was your biggest influence?

 

Nicole: I first got involved in football when my parents signed me up to play for an AYSO team when I was seven (1987). The team had three girls on it and the rest were boys. At first I didn’t enjoy playing, but by the end of the season I was excited for the game. It wasn’t until 1990 that there was finally a girls-only league that I could play in. 

 

In addition to playing, I really grew to love the game because of my late father. My dad grew to love soccer because of his immigrant work buddies from Germany and Scotland.  Because of their love of the game, I was raised to love & support the game too. I attended Chicago Power games in the early 1990s with my dad and his German friend, who I remember shelling peanuts in the stands of the then Rosemont Horizon with a cowbell in hand and ready to be rung whenever Chicago scored a goal. 

 

I can see from your Twitter account you are very much involved in football regarding men’s MLS side Chicago Fire and the Chicago Red Stars, the NWSL side. In fact, you co-founded both supporters groups. What can you tell me about that?

 

Nicole: Much of my love for the game revolves around my family. In the early 2000s, we started attending Fire games regularly, my younger sister and I were drawn to the energy of the supporters section and quickly started spending time there during games and making friends with those in the community. While soccer/football is not as male-dominated in the states as it is in Europe, it still was a predominately male community, and I wanted to ensure there was a space for women to feel welcome. A few of us (women) created a group called CF97 Sirens, which we consider a community of women and femme supporters of the Fire. We currently have a Facebook group of 159 supporters. 

 

I also served on the board of Section 8 Chicago the Independent Supporters Association of the Chicago Fire for four years 2015, 2016 (Communications); 2018 (Vice Chair), and 2019 (Chair - first female Chair). 

 

Similarly, I grew up playing in the 90s so the USWNT were my heroes. I remember seeing them play for the first time in 1994 with my late father.  In the mid 2000s, I was one of few women involved in the Section 8 Chicago community, and I also was actively involved in creating playing opportunities in Chicago for adult women. So when Chicago was getting a women’s professional team, Chicago area soccer fans recruited two other women and me to help start Chicago Local 134 (2008). The name honors this city’s rich union history and commemorates the original supporters’ section that we stood in at Toyota Park now SeatGeek Stadium.

 

Being a woman who is clearly passionate about her football must also come with its challenges as there are still those out there who see it as a 'Man's' game. What challenges have you faced yourself?

Nicole: Fortunately, in the US, women are more accepted in the game than they are in England/Europe, but it doesn’t come without it’s difficulties. When I became Chair of Section 8 Chicago in 2019, I was told I was too emotional to be a leader, it’s a double standard, and my passion is what makes me a good leader. Myself and other women’s leaders have been trolled on social media, are often not taken as seriously, and people can accuse some of us to be too masculine and/or too feminine - we’re judged more by what we’re wearing then men would be. Just this year, the first home game, several men in the supporters section asked my sister and me if it was our first Fire game. They wouldn’t ask men the same question. Yesterday at a Fire home match, a male friend mentioned that he’s glad he’s not a woman at the match because he noticed how much men ogle at us when they walk by. 

 

As an adult woman who plays soccer, there are less playing opportunities for us, where there are countless men’s leagues in Chicago. Also, even if we’re skilled players, some male players won’t pass us the ball and if we have a bad touch, they might not pass us the ball again. 

 

Women's football in the States has always been popular, with Europe now making huge strides in the last few years, attracting bigger crowds to games in different countries. Why has it always been popular in America? 

 

Nicole: This is a good question and one that I’m not sure I’m qualified to answer, but I’ll try! I think there are a few components that make wome’s soccer more popular in the US. First, would be Title IX, which gave women more sports playing opportunities in the US starting in 1972. This allowed us to have women’s only leagues earlier in the US in comparison to Europe, which seems to only become more popular now. The USWNT also became leaders in the game earlier than most other teams in the world. 

 

Since soccer/football was the primary sport in Europe in the 1900s, it became a sport for men to escape from work and their families and wives. Since soccer wasn’t as popular here the previous century, it was never a game that evolved around family escapism for men, which allowed it to be more commonplace for women to play and support the game. 

 

The USA women's team are seen as the driving force for influencing other nations to invest time and money into their women's football. Players like Alex Morgan have changed the way people see the women's game. In your opinion, who else has helped the women's game progress throughout the world? Or maybe what has helped the women's game progress these last few years worldwide?

Nicole: The USWNT has clearly been a driving force for influencing other nations to invest in the game, especially with their recent Equal Pay case - an influence for all women to strive for more. For  me, there isn’t one woman in the game that isn’t helping the woman’s game progress. Each woman that plays, supports, or works in football from the grassroots level to the pros is making a difference for the women that come after us. 

 

There are clear legends like Mia Hamm, Megan Rapinoe, Marta, Formiga, Michelle Akers, Christine Sinclair, Birgit Prinz, Kelly Smith, and managers like Hope Powell and Emma Hayes, but there are also women working in football, supporting in the stands, coaching young girls. All of us are creating progress for the wome’s game. 

 

Football is a sport that has become more inclusive over the years, and certainly the women's game has gained more attention, with huge viewing figure worldwide for the last Women's World Cup. Where do you see the Women's game in the next 5 to 10 years?

 

Nicole: The women’s game is growing rapidly. I never thought I’d see the day where I’m nervous that USWNT will no longer be the primary leaders of the game, but with leagues gaining momentum in Europe, I think it’s possible that national teams (France, Germany, Sweden, and non-Eropean teams like Japan) may start to pass us by. I think there will continue to be more playing opportuniies for girls and women throughout the world and more opportungties forwomen to work in the game. Some regions will still struggle, but where there is struggle, countless other women/people will be fighting the fight for equality with them. 

 

Finally, a question I ask everyone. Who is your favourite player of all time? You can choose more than one.

 

I have three! Mia Hamm - I grew up adoring Mia and watching her glide across the field. As a teenager, she along with many of the USWNT players of the 90s werfe my idols. 

 

Formiga - Formiga played in seven Olympic games and is the oldest player in World Cup history at 41 (not sure if that’s for WWC and/or both women’s and men’s). I had the privilege of supporting her in person for one season when she played for the Chicago Red Stars.

 

Tobin Heath - For me, Tobin is one of the first extremely creative players in terms of footwork in the women’s game.

 

So, there you have it, Dick Kerr’s, Ladies, a side that have been mentioned to me so many times that it would have been a crime not to include them in this book. I also would have missed out on those three interviews which for me were fascinating to conduct. Hile women’s football seems to have gained much more respect these days, there does seem to be still a long way to go to convince others that it is a real part of the sport. Football is not just a man’s game, but a game for all. I’m sure the people involved with Dick Kerr’s, Ladies will be delighted to see the effect of what they achieved back then, being brought forward and progressing the women’s game in a way that we can all say is exciting and can only get better as time goes on. You never know, maybe somebody will reignite the football club of Dick Kerr’s, Ladies in the future? But would they be as good? Probably not.